Sunday, May 27, 2012

For the Love of Pinterest, and my Kitchen Reno

I am not new to Pinterest... I have been enjoying perusing and "liking" most of my friends posts for quite a while now.  However!  I am new to trying to implement some of the ideas I am seeing!  I have a few things I want to do around the house, and I think the best start is to make a list and just start crossing things off as we have the time/finances for it.  As I complete things, I would like to start posting things and showing some of my own ideas that I've done to try and organize my little home.

That leads me to my other half of the title:  My Kitchen Reno!  Can't believe we are actually in progress of the reno, and that by this time next Sunday I will have new cabinets, a new sink, a DISHWASHER (can you tell I didn't have one for the first 5 years of our marriage?), and hopefully have all the stuff moved back into the kitchen.  My brother in law has his own custom kitchen business which is why we decided to go that route instead of my beloved Ikea.  We also decided that because our kitchen is a little akward and small that a custom installation would maximize our kitchen space, and also support Ty!

DH and I demo'd the existing kitchen yesterday and today, and have only a couple pieces left that are surrounding the pipes so I am waiting for my Dad's expertise to tell me the best way to remove it!  What an experience!  DH and I don't usually do the home improvement stuff together... usually it is me and either my Dad and I, my brother and I, or me all by my self.  It was actually fun to sledgehammer out the cabinets, and pry off the UGLY backsplash tiles that have been around since we moved in.  I think probably everyone deals with the never ending list of home improvements that you have to prioritize!

The day we moved into our house we took out the room divider in the living room, and demo'd the upstairs bathroom (everything other than the tub and tiles).  Then, we renovated the upstairs bathroom, painted the entire main floor, redid the entryway floor, replaced every light fixture in our house, painted all the woodwork in the house.  The basement got the last of our budget dollars, so we just painted all the paneling, and for the "wow" factor; replaced the carpet.

After we finished all that, and decided to take a break from the reno stuff (for our budgets sake) our basement flooded.  So it was back to the drawing board.  We tore out the whole basement (minus the laundry and downstairs bathroom), reframed, insulated, and drywalled everything.  I designed the layout, lighting, and everything... only thing I forgot was the phone line in the basement (oops)!

After we got all that done, we are on to the kitchen , which was unexpected but so exciting!

So, through the next two weeks, my struggle is going to be not stressing about any of this ;)

I will add pictures as soon as I have time.


1 comment:

Becky said...

How fun, Shawna! Being a renter, I always glamourize the joy of renos, but I'm sure it'll be worth the upset in your home when it's all done. I just love your positive attitude! :)