Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe. ~Philippians 2:14-15
Friday, April 1, 2011
Feeling Challenged... in a good way!
I started reading a book not too long ago called "What's it like to be married to me?" It asks a lot of tough questions to reflect on, and to realize that in our marriages instead of focussing on what the other person should be changing, we need to focus on ourselves since that's the only person we are responsible for! I've really enjoyed it so far (I'm not very far in), and I'm trying to read through it slowly so that I allow myself to really reflect on what each chapter means in my life, and in my marriage. One of the major things the author gets us to focus on, is how we are building up our husbands... and not tearing them down with our words. I had another confirmation of that mentality when I was at a dear friends wedding shower, and the woman sharing the devotional (whom I've known my whole life!) was talking about our words and their impact on our marriage. I have come to realize I am too quick to challenge Jeff about his behaviour or about things he says to me, but I am unwilling to look to myself for ways I could be more positive, and encouraging. That is a focus I plan on changing, and while I am not perfect and will still have days when I focus on Jeff and his faults... I really do love him, and I feel very blessed when I list out all the wonderful things he does, and is to me. He's a great father - Bryna loves him to bits, and they have special fun things they get to do together, games they've made up with lego pieces, snuggles, longer drawn out bedtime routines because they get too caught up reading to notice the time... and more. He's a great husband - I never have to worry where Jeff is, or who he is out with. He is very respectful by letting me know without me asking where he plans to be for the day, and who he plans to be with. He also is very gracious and gets up to get me things when I've settled on the couch, and even lets me fall asleep first most nights before he comes to bed so his snoring doesn't keep me up. It's easy to forget the good when all you focus on is the bad... I thank the Lord for my husband, and how blessed I am!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment