Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas

Christmas is over...

It went really quick this year.  I felt a frantic almost inhuman speed to the celebrations this year, which made me feel all the more thankful that we started a new tradition of Christmas Eve with just our family of four.  Me, DH, Bean and K-Bear.

It started by having a relaxing day straightening up the house (so we wouldn't come home to chaos with all the new things that were coming home with us), then we went out for dinner around 5 pm.  We had planned on Boston Pizza, but had to switch to Olive Garden when we found out that most everything had closed at 4pm.  After a leisurely dinner (as leisurely as it can be when you have a toddler), we went driving around to look at Christmas lights.  Next year I need to actually research where the good ones are because we certainly did not find them... but since K-bear fell asleep in the van, and Bean enjoyed anything with lights... we did alright.

When we got home we opened stockings, and Bean and K-bear got to open their one gift from us that was specially for Christmas Eve.  New jammies, and a special stuffy.  I have to admit that the major hit was the kinder egg that I bought them... but the jammies got their recognition too ;)

After we opened our gifts, and cleaned up the wrapping, we went downstairs to watch "White Christmas".  That tradition is totally and selfishly for me.  I look forward all year to watching it, and wish every year that I had been born in that time period where dresses and pearls were common, and the truly amazing singers (Bing Crosby for instance) were alive.  My girls actually made it halfway before they were ready for bed, and after we tucked them in, I finished the movie myself and went to bed.

Early mornings are not my strong suit.  7am came way to fast, but we packed up the van, and arrived (a little late) to my parents house.  It was a frenzy of ripping paper, and opening bags (I hardly know what was from who for my kids because they had torn every defining mark off the presents before I saw them), but they were truly blessed.

After the presents, we ate, and watched "It's A Wonderful Life".  Another classic, and wonderful movie.

We packed up the car around 3:30 and headed back into the city to DH's family celebration, and again it was eat, and then present frenzy.  By the time we got the kids into bed that night... I was more exhausted than they were. :)

Boxing day was another wonderful family day.  We all stayed in our pjs all day, used a gift card we had received to order Boston Pizza for lunch, and spent time together just relaxing and reveling in the gift we have - our family.

I've already been thinking about next Christmas.  Not in the "hurry up and get here" sense, but in the "how can we make it less frantic, and more thankful" way.  I think there is merit to opening gifts slowly and enjoying what you receive, before you throw it down and move onto the next thing.  I really want to raise my kids to be thankful for whatever they receive (even if it was a bunch of "tacky" sweaters - as an example), without expecting anything more.  I have a year to get ready for that, and to be teaching them that for next year... but we will have to start with birthdays, as DH and Bean's birthday is January 10th.

I just want to end with a focus on the greatest gift... and the reason we celebrate Christmas at all : John 3:16
For God so loved the World that he gave his one and only Son.  That whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

No comments: